The premiere date and debut trailer for JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean have been revealed during a livestream.
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean premieres worldwide December 2021 on Netflix, and January 2022 on Tokyo MX, MBS, and BS11.
The livestream (with English subtitles) included guest Fairouz Ai (the voice of Jolyne Cujoh), who explained her deep love for the manga inspired her to become a voice actress. The story of the anime adaption was also briefly addressed.
As previously reported, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure follows the saga of the Joestar family, the multi-generational foe of the vampire Dio Brando. Using powerful martial arts and a technique that lets users manifest a “stand” of spiritual power, the members of the Joestar family find themselves time and time again facing the forces of evil.
The anime adaptation of Part 6: Stone Ocean announced earlier this year. Stone Ocean follows the adventures of Jolyne Cujoh, who is imprisoned on murder charges in Florida. Jolyne is notable for being the first female “JoJo,” and the daughter of Part 3: Stardust Crusaders protagonist, Jotaro Kujo.
The core staff were also announced, many having worked on previous Jojo anime adaptions. You can find the staff list below.
- Chief Director – Kenichi Suzuki (Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency, Stardust Crusaders)
- Director – Toshiyuki Kato (series director of Diamond is Unbreakable, director of Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan)
- Series Composer – Yasuko Kobayashi (series composer from Phantom Blood to Golden Wind)
- Character Designer – Masanori Shino
- Stand Designer – Shunichi Ishimoto (Sub-character designer on Diamond is Unbreakable, character designer on Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan, and Chief Animation Director for Golden Wind)
- Sound Director – Yoshikazu Iwanami (Sound director for all prior seasons of Jojo)
- Music Composer – Yugo Kanno (Composer for Stardust Crusaders, Diamond is Unbreakable, Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan, and Golden Wind)
- Animation Production – David Productions (animation production on prior Jojo seasons).
- Sub-Character Design – Kei Tsuchiya
- Prop Designer – Daisuke Niitsuma, Yukitoshi Hotani
- Art Designer – Reiki Taki, Junko Nagasawa, Yuriko Watanabe
- Art Director – Keito Watanabe
- Color Designer – Hiroko Sato
- Editor – Kiyoshi Hirose
- CG Producer – Yutaka Hamanaka
- CG Director – Kotaro Shishido
Suzuki also joined as a guest. He expressed his excitement and anxiousness at bringing the climax to the Joestar and Dio story, and the series seeing a reuniting of not just characters but staff. The series will also keep the vulgar language between the women, accurate to a prison setting.
The leaked key visual was officially premiered, along with the first trailer. The trailer (with English subtitles) not only reveals the animation in action, but clips of what seem to be the show’s opening music. You can find the trailer below.
The previously leaked cast list for the other voice actors and actresses was also officially confirmed.
- Ermes Costello: Mutsumi Tamura
- Foo Fighters: Mariya Ise
- Emporio Alniño: Atsumi Tanezaki
- Weather Report: Yuuichiro Umehara
- Narciso Anasui: Daisuke Namikawa
- Jotaro Kujo: Daisuke Ono
Tamura and Ise also joined as guests. Tamura explained how she was overjoyed at getting the role, reading Stone Ocean when she was in elementary school. She had also auditioned for Jojo roles before. Ise has also auditioned in the past, and was similarly overwhelmed when she got the good news. However, her cousin was the biggest fan of the series; buying additional copies to preserve.
Dubbing has already begun, with the actresses dealing with throat sprays and their character’s accents and loud voices. Nonetheless, the actresses and staff have been having fun. Some Stands were noted by Suzuki as “impossible to recreate,” with work-arounds being employed.
After announcing the release date, it was also announced that the September issue of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 8: Jojolion will launch August 19th, and will mark the end of the series. The manga will also be sold as volumes up to volume 26.
You can find the full livestream below.